Friday, October 10, 2014

Shondaland First Impressions

So like most every woman at least in the United States, I am obsessed with the three shows currently on air created by Shonda Rhimes.  These three shows are on ABC, consecutively on Thursdays from 8p-11p and they are glorious!

I’m going to talk about them in the order of saving the best for last, which also happens to be the order that they come on the air.

I will warn for each show about spoilers of this particular episode, but I will only be talking about episode 1 of the current season.  So if you’re not caught up to this season, SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. LEAVE, WATCH, COME BACK!

GREY’S ANATOMY (season 11)

Man this show has been on a long time.  And honestly, this season is the first time I believe that this fact is beginning to show.  We left last season with a (tearful) long winded goodbye to Christina Yang (played by Sandra Oh) and dear lord, I was a wreck.  Yang is my favorite character, and her and Meredith together are what makes this show for me. The best friends.  Any relationship can be torn apart, anybody can die, and those things will be devastating, but I can’t handle the Meredith and Christina friendship being pulled apart to separate ends of the country.  It’s not okay.

So for me, I knew the beginning of this season was going to be disappointing to me in it of itself because YANG ISN’T THERE.  And I knew that, and I am trying still to get past it.  It’s a difficult process.

I had some high hopes going into this episode for the new newb, Miss “I’m Eliis Grey’s daughter and I was given up for adoption and I’ve come here for a sense of who she was and I’m half black so the audience knows that obviously I’m Richard’s daughter too but I have no idea about that part.” 
            And throughout the show, she kind of annoyed me.  I took into account that she’s supposed to be really young for being head of a department (cardio, YANG’S position) and so gave her some slack for maybe trying to be a little macho so people will take her seriously.

I also loved that whole thing throughout the episode about trying to get Hunt to go out on a man date because surely he’s sad about Christina leaving.

But my favorite part has to be the situation between Meredith and Derek and his job offer across the country.

SPOILER ALERT

Throughout the whole episode Meredith is complaining to other people about the fact that Derek is choosing the job over staying with his family.

BUT AT THE END, after a heartfelt moment with a patient, Derek declines his position and tells Meredith he’s going to stay in Seattle.  And instead of being happy, her face goes stone cold and she says “I’m getting a drink.” And orders a shot of tequila! It was badass, and it makes me nervous for their relationship!

Moving on to:

SCANDAL (Season 4)

I was very confused in the beginning, because I forgot that last season ended with Olivia deciding to leave the city with Jake. So when the show opens on the beach, I thought Olivia was dreaming, and was very confused about everything. 

I also forgot Harrison was killed last season, and so had to go through that shock all over again.  Any possibility it’ll turn out he’s not dead? I hope so.

SPOILER ALERT

I really hated that Huck and Quinn still have some fire between them, I just do not like that nasty weird situation going on. Especially since that moment last season when Huck LICKED HER FACE after telling her he was going to pull her teeth out.  That was so creepy, I don’t understand how Quinn could even look at him again after that.

I LOVE MELLIE.  Watching her go through this depression over the death of her son is really adding so much depth to her, and I just want her on screen at all times.
And if I disliked Fitz before, this is just making me HATE him.
Her monologue about how when he sees Olivia again, to tell her, so she can be warned that he’s gonna be a disgusting pig to her basically was amazing.

Which brings me to the fact that I am simply so over the Fitz and Olivia back and forth. Move on already!

Lastly I want to mention how incredibly hot the sex scene at the end between Olivia and Jake was. AMAZING.

Now for:

HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER (Season 1)

I am so excited for this show.  It pulled me in and I am hooked.  The kid who plays Dean in Harry Potter is in it, and he does a GREAT American accent.
I also love that the guy who plays Bennet on Orange is the New Black is in this show, and I could not place his face to save my life.  His character irriatates the shit out of me on this show though so that’s unfortunate.

The character “Laurel” also annoys me a little.  I don’t like her eyebrows, and she is just meh to me.

SPOILER ALERT

The pilot episode.  Even as a pilot, this episode was RIVETING.  I loved the time warp of the show, which has been continuing in the following episodes.  It makes it even more interesting than it already is.

I loved the scandal of Gibbons catching the professor sleeping with a man in her office, and then as if that wasn’t enough, it turns out that it was NOT her husband.  That was great.

Viola Davis is a goddess, I am just in love with her and that’s all I have to say about that!



Do you watch all of these shows, or just one? Which is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment