Wednesday, January 13, 2016

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT SHADOWHUNTERS.

Last night, January 12 2016, Shadowhunters premiered on "Freeform" (aka ABC Family.).

In case you're unaware, it is a new show (roughly) based on Cassandra Clare's series known as The Mortal Instruments.  It is about a girl who finds out that the world around her isn't what it seems; there are demons and monsters in this world and she is one of the good guys who can and do fight them. Those good guys are called shadowhunters.

So lets get it out of the way that I did not enjoy this show, especially when I'm comparing it to the series that is is based on.  And even when I think about it and try to separate the show from the books, yeah still pretty bad.

I live tweeted the event last night, so if you'd like to read my live reactions here's my twitter.

SPOILERS FOR THE TV SHOW AHEAD.

So first off I want to talk about the few things I did enjoy about the show.

The demons look pretty cool. Honestly I thought they were going to be shit. This is a fantasy show on ABC FAMILY i wasn't expecting much in the way of funds for special effects. I was surprised in the best way possible.  (this being said, I'm annoyed that every demon they did show had the same freaking 4 way opening mouth. why.)

I also enjoyed the costumes.  Although none of the characters dress exactly how described in the books (Cassie Clare has gotten a lot of shit for this even though she's said multiple times that she doesn't freaking have any say in the show), I really loved most of it.  Izzy's white costume was on point. The outfit Clary puts on at the end was great and Simon's reaction was hilarious.

This being said, why the fuck did Izzy take off her wig right as they start to entice the demons when the whole point of the wig was to entice the demons. Makes no sense to me.

Also, the outfits of the circle (who we aren't even supposed to know exist yet). Did we actually watch a Men in Black sequel? I'm confused.

I enjoyed almost all of the side characters. Simon, Alec, and Izzy (as well as the two seconds we saw of Magnus) were the best parts of the show and probably the only reason I will continue watching to give the show a chance.  Their characterizations of the people we know and love from the books seemed on point and they made me laugh with them instead of at them.

That being said, the writing between Clary and Jace was so cringeworthy I couldn't stand it.  I don't know if that means the actors they chose are not great choices or if the writers are trying too hard to recreate the banter that exists within the books. I don't know where the problem lies but it hurt to watch the scenes between them.

Okay now that I've gone through the things I enjoyed (and some of the things I didn't) I need to get into the nitty gritty of what I was truly disappointed with.

Jocelyn.  Basically her whole plot line is so different and wrong its hard for me to see how we are possibly going to get to the same ending as the books when we've already gotten so off course with the plot. Also I'm just confused about why things make sense with this plot. Jocelyn wanted to keep Clary in the dark but then gives her a stele for her 18th birthday. um what. Jocelyn SENT clary to the institute when Clary comes home from seeing demons and shadow hunters which completely changes the plot of later books/seasons/whathaveyou.

Luke.  While I love Luke and his casting, I'm confused why they decided they needed him to be a cop.  What is this weird murder mystery subplot? Why do I care? Why was it necessary?  Are mundanes even being killed for their blood by the circle in the books? Have I completely forgotten about it or did they make it up and add it to the story? WHY.  Also why can't we trust him at the end, like Clary says? Luke is a good guy if they change that I'm going to be so annoyed.

Maureen. IS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUNGER THAN THEM AND A WEIRD FANGIRL NOT THEIR FRIEND WHY

Dot. Who tf is Dot. I finally was given the answer that she is/was Dorothea in the book. Again why the change. Why was it necessary. I absolutely hate unnecessary changes. I realize that in adaptations some changes must be made for different reasons. But this was not necessary. so why.

Although I do like the casting of Valentine, I am still annoyed that we've already seen him. Leave some shit to the mystery people why do we already know about the circle and Valentine and all that jazz? The murder mystery isn't even a mystery we know Valentine is behind it. That's no fun.

I think that's everything I have for now.  Yes I will still be watching the show. I am going to try to watch the entirety of the first season if I don't want to vomit every time Tuesday is here at some point.  

Do you want to see regular weekly thoughts on the show? Let me know if thats a thing you're interested in!  What were your thoughts?? Am I being too nit picky or do you agree? What did you like/dislike?

No comments:

Post a Comment