Saturday, September 10, 2016

REVIEW | Saga Volume 4 & 5 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.


I gave Saga Volumes 4 & 5 by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples both a 4 out of 5 stars.


There are the 4th and 5th volumes of the Saga graphic novels, which follow the story of Marko and Alana and their baby. Each from a planet and moon that are at war with each other, Marko and Alana's baby, Hazel, shouldn't exist - and the government of both the planets want to make sure she doesn't.  Trying to survive in a universe not just at war but specifically out to get them and their child is a dangerous game, and this series is all about that struggle.

I can't get into specifics about these two volumes since they are sequels without spoilers so if you haven't yet read up to Volume 5 of this series this will be where you should go.  I LOVE THIS SERIES THOUGH.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

Lying Cat is the freaking best.

I love that Hazel narrates this series, it is such a breath of fresh air to be given a series with parents who have a sex life and a child who isn't 100% naive about it? Like I get that Hazel is narrating this story in a future time frame - so hopefully she's made it to adulthood! - but I still love that this series doesn't keep all the sex stuff separate from the family stuff.

AS ALWAYS I had an issue with how quickly Alana gets so angry with Marko. Its one of the most frustrating things to read because Marko is so open hearted and lovable, Alana is fucking everything up especially in Volume 4, and she's the one getting mad in every freaking issue.

I also thought it was weird that Alana was working as a public broadcast star of a sexy show? They're on the run why isn't she in hiding? They do bring that up very flippantly but SERIOUSLY THAT WAS STUPID.

Also the giant dragon penis oh my god LOL.

Also Marko's mom is another FREAKING AWESOME person! SO BADASS I love her to death she better not die or I will freak out.

The drugs got weird. I thought it was a pretty fleshed out part of the story though, like I understood why Alana started using, and how conflicted she was, how frustrated Marko was, etc.  It was so sad to read and I'm curious to see if now that they've left that planet will that problem just go away for a new one to take its place or will we watch Alana continue to struggle, as well as Marko now that the crazy green lady gave him some too? CURIOUS.

I also am SO curious to see where the baby tv alien plot is going to go. SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.

Okay I'm starting to ramble without any clear direction so I think this might be my time to say that's all and sleep dreams (or not since its the morning? Questionable.)

Until next time,
MissSassyKassie

1 comment:

  1. Lying Cat is the freaking best.. Amen . On to volume 6

    ReplyDelete