Monday, June 12, 2017

BOOKS I'VE READ IN 2017. (pt. 1)

Hey nerds, what's up?

I figured a good place to start with blogging again would be a little list of all the books I've read so far in 2017. I won't be going into too much detail in the post as there are 14 books to get through! This post will have the first 7 and then I'll be posting the other 7 shortly. But I'll make sure to link to wrap ups and reviews on my channel when I have them.

So beginning in January:

I started off the year with Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Meniscalco.



I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. This was the group book for the Biannual Bibliothon, so you can find the liveshow here.  This book was creepy and fun and I really enjoyed the twisted ending!

The next book I read in January was My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier.



I gave this book a full 5 out of 5 stars! I don't have a review for this one, so I will make sure to link my haul and wrap up from January and February with the last book in that video! I truly LOVED this book! This book follows Che, a teenage boy who is worried his little sister, Rosa, is a sociopath. And OH MY GOSH is this book suspenseful and intense! I absolutely loved it. I want to give a quick shout out thank you to Catriona from Little Book Owl who recommended this book and then sent it to me for my birthday (or was it Christmas? I'm horrible at remembering gifts I apologize) and made January such a great reading month!

Next up, I read Heartless by Marissa Meyer.



I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars.  I read this one for the Bibliobook Club, which is hosted by the Bibliothon girls on the Bibliothon channel! We read one book every three months (Feb-April, May-July, and so on) If you want to join us for that you should follow us on Twitter! A link to the liveshow can be found here.

This book is about the Queen of Hearts from Alice and Wonderland, and how she became the bad guy we all know and love to hate. I listened to this on audio and I absolutely loved the narration! My favorite thing was the king's laugh - please listen so you know what I'm talking about. I think the narration is really what made me enjoy this book. I think the plot was a bit slow, which is why it wasn't a 5 star read for me.

Next up is Our Own Private Universe by Robin Talley.



I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars as well. I was sent an ARC copy of this book in exchange for a video review, which can be found here! This book is about a girl named Aki who goes on her church's summer retreat and makes a pact with her best friend to have a summer fling.  In her quest for summer love, she discovers that she likes boys and girls.

I loved this book A LOT. I thought the family involvement in this story and talk about safe sex were so vital and well done. I didn't love the conflict of the story which is why I knocked a star off. But I truly enjoyed and recommend this book to you.

Moving into February, I read Gemina by Amie Kauffman and Jay Kristoff.



I gave this book another full 5 out of 5 stars. OH MY GOD have you read the Illuminae Files yet?? You need to! This is the sequel to Illuminae by the same gorgeous authors as listed above. Illuminae is a Sci-Fi novel written in a collection of emails, audio files, etc with some AMAZING graphics inside. It's basically the coolest bestest most amazing book you'll ever read.

In case you haven't gathered yet, I love this series. You need to read it. Moving on.

Next I read The You I've Never Known by Ellen Hopkins.



I got this book from the library on a whim and I'm so glad I picked it up. Ellen Hopkins writes in prose and never ceases to amaze me when I pick up one of her books.  The You I've Never Known follows two characters - Ariel and Maya.  Ariel is a teenager who lives with her dad, and has since she was a young girl when her mother left them to be with a woman. Maya is a teenager trying to get away from her mother who is abusive and part of a cult.  She decides to get pregnant so she can have a reason to run away with the man she's seeing.

THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD. I don't want to go into WHY it was so good because there's a thing that happens that made this book phenomental and it was a shock and so so great.

The last book in this post is going to be History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera.



Another book with 5 out of 5 stars. If you don't know about Adam Silvera, he likes to write books with LGBTQ+ characters that rip your heart out. It's a fun time. This particular story is about a boy named Griffin who used to date a boy named Theo until Theo decided to move across the country and met Jackson.  But then Theo died. The story follows both the beginning of Theo and Griffin as well as the present day time where Jackson and Griffin create an unlikely friendship after meeting at Theo's funeral.

Did I mention Adam Silvera likes to rip your heart out? Cool. Great.  This book was SO amazing. It's a rollercoaster that makes you feel one way and then makes you feel another and it just hurts my heart even thinking about it.

For the books that didn't get their own review/liveshow, here's the wrap up I posted with all of these books!


That's half the books I've read so far in 2017! I'll post the other half shortly and then plan to get back to reviewing every book I read with a new blog post.

It feels good to be blogging again!

Until next time,
Kassie - MissSassyKassie

No comments:

Post a Comment