Friday, April 3, 2015

MOVIE REVIEW: The Duff

This is a MOVIE review only. I have not read the book.  I don’t really plan on reading it, because from what I hear the movie is a better plot line, and the book is not very good. So I probably won’t read it.

The plot line of this movie was very Mean Girls-esque. I felt like I’m watching a new classic form for the teenage girls of today. 

THE PLOT.

The plot is obviously very teeny.  I mean the hot friend who she’s known forever accidentally tells her she’s the Designated Ugly Fat Friend, and then she gets mad at him, but then realizes that she should be mad at her friends, and uses him to give her a make over.  He’s not gay so obviously they will fall in love by the end of this movie. But there’s a bad bitch in school who wants Hot Guy Friend to be off limits to anyone but her so she wants to ruin DUFF’s life because they’re hanging out together while he makes her over.  I was not at all surprised by this movie.

THE WRITING.

Is what made this movie so good. The lines were pure comedy, and everything revolving social media just had me laughing so hard I cried.

THE CHARACTERS.

Were also good.  Especially those who were not leads. They really made the movie; the teachers, the random kids who had a few lines, the baddest bitch at school (antagonist) and her lackeys were all hilarious in the way that they were so cliché, and it was obvious that that was on purpose. 

I also loved that while the DUFF’s friends were beautiful, they were true friends to her, and so you wanted them to all make up after their fall out in the movie.

PRODUCTION.

I absolutely loved that in the movie, there were little “drawings” on top of the scene as the voiceover told the story. It was an excellent touch.  My favorite scene in the entire movie is after the DUFF gets a yes to go on a date with the guy she likes, she puts her arms out like she’s queen of the world and fireworks are exploding behind her and she’s just reveling in it.  And then it jerks back to reality and she’s back in the hallway at school.  It just added a little extra to the movie.

DID I LIKE IT?


Yes! I give this movie a 4.5/5 stars; although it was obviously a story line that has been done too many times to count, and the love story was predictable, it still had me in tears from laughing, and I will definitely watch it again with friends! It’s a very easy-going fun movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment