Tuesday, October 11, 2016

REVIEW | Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas.


Settle in because this post is gong to be a long one.  My 37th read of 2016 was Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas and I gave it a full 5 out of 5 stars!

This is the 5th book in the Throne of Glass series so there's not much to say without spoilers. I will say that this is by far my favorite series of all time (with the only exception of Harry Potter) so if you haven't picked these books up yet I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. They just continue to get better!

OKAY LETS TALK ABOUT THIS BOOK. SPOILER TIME, YE BE WARNED.

First of all, I'm so obsessed with all the women in this story. I absolutely love that this series never gives you a character that lets their love interest do the work for them.

So we need to talk about how stressed out I was throughout reading this book. Oh my god, I thought my chest might explode from the anxiety for all my favorite people. The awesome fight scene at Skull's Bay was SO INTENSE. I was so worried we were going to lose Lysandra in that scene, I could not handle it. And what the heck is the weird thing that happened with the god taking over Aelin's body?? AND I KNEW something was crazy with Rowan stepping in front of Aelin. Holy shit, I was going to freak out if Aelin was the one who killed Rowan. WHAT.

Oh my god, so intense.

I cried for the first time when I read the scene where the Ironteeth witches come together and decide that Asterin will die because of what Manon did to the the other witch when they were at Dorian's city. SOBBED. And THEN when we finally come back to the Manon story line (seriously why did it take so long) holy shit! Reading Manon decide to attempt to kill her grandmother, the woman that she has been trying to please since we met her in Heir of Fire. Oh my god. 

We need to talk about the sexy scenes in this book.

FIRSTLY I'm so glad this ship between Manon and Dorian came to fruition, I LIVE FOR IT. oh my god i'm obsessed with them and it was so hot. And most importantly I love that Manon threatens Dorian when he assumes he can come back without her consent. YES.

I also want to talk about the almost sexy time we got between Elide and Lorcan. OH MY GOD I did not see that coming! One thing I love about the way Sarah J Maas' writing her love interests is that while sometimes they are fast, she can also write a very slow burn such as these two. I absolutely LOVE IT.

Aelin and Rowan. The biggest question I've seen everywhere is also my question. HOW DID ROWAN NOT BURN HIMSELF. She turned the sand to glass how is he not in pain?!

Alright lastly we have to talk about the ending.

I cried from pride and relief when Abraxos came back with the Thirteen and when Rowan's family all turned from Maeve's fleet and chose to fight against her instead. ALSO why was Maeve that dumb. Okay.

Then, reading Aelin refuse to count the whips the Maeve requires oh my god I just was sobbing almost so hard I couldn't see the words on the page. Because that girl already has so many scars on her back from whips so to watch her know what is coming, and still refuse to count. THE STRENGTH IT TAKES. I can't imagine.

And then the reveal that Lysandra will be Aelin so nobody will lose faith in their queen, AND that Aelin actually did raise an army from nothing for Terrasen I CANT HANDLE IT. She didn't get to see that she did not fail before Maeve took her and it was just so much. I'm so proud of her, and what she did.

I am SO nervous for the next book. Are we going to spend most of the book watching Aelin tortured while Rowan is looking for her? WORSE are we not going to see Aelin for a good portion of the book because Rowan is looking for her? I feel like if she is found and freed too quickly I won't be happy with that either. Oh my god, I'm anxious just thinking about the ending to this series and Sarah J Maas hasn't even written it yet. I'm a hot mess.


What did you think about Empire of Storms?! Let me know in the comments below.

Until next time,
MissSassyKassie

No comments:

Post a Comment