Wednesday, October 12, 2016

REVIEW | George by Alex Gino.



George by Alex Gino was read 38 of 2016! I read this book as a part of the Banned Bookathon hosted by Catriona at LittleBook Owl and I gave this read a 5 out of 5 stars!

George is about a 10 year old in 4th grade who's name is George, but all she wants is to be a girl.  We follow George throughout the year as she makes a plan to try out for the school play, Charlotte's Web and instead of trying out for the boy parts, she reads for Charlotte.  We follow her story with her family, her teachers, a bully, and her best friend.

My heart is so warm that there is a children's book about a transgender child out there for kids to identify with and see themselves in a fictional character.  I'm just so happy this book exists.

I admire Alex Gino for writing this book. What an awesome debut to make as an author.

The writing was great. I loved reading from George's perspective and the way she thought about her hair, the way she put her towel around herself. My favorite scene is when she gets to play dress up with her best friend - who is also such a wonderful character!


Please comment down below any book recommendations you might have similar to George, particularly for the children/middle grade ages! Thanks!

Until next time,
MissSassyKassie

No comments:

Post a Comment