Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In Honor of Robin Williams

So today's post was going to be an outfit for going back to high school, but I felt this would be more appropriate.

Of course, I didn't personally know Robin Williams.  I never met him anywhere, I've never seen him in person.  But it would be silly to deny that he was so much a part of my growing up.  When I was in middle school, and again in high school, we had to write bucket lists.  And on both, I wrote to meet Robin Williams.  He was the only celebrity I cared enough about where I actively wanted to meet him.

So I thought I'd post some fond memories I have of Robin Williams in the great movies that were loves of mine, and some influenced me in other parts of my life.

"You ain't never had a friend like me"

Aladdin.  Most of us 90's kids probably remember this as their first Robin Williams movie/memory.  The genie's songs were my favorite, and of course he was hilarious.

"Stop giving me things that come apart!"

Jumanji. This movie scared the living daylights out of me the first time I saw it.  I even had a reoccurring nightmare that involved the bullet that goes backwards at the end when the game is finally ending (SPOILER ALERT).  I did love this movie when I got a little older; however I still consider it pretty dark.

"carpe dentum. Seize the teeth."

Mrs. Doubtfire. This movie was one of my favorites.  There is just so much gold.  My favorite scene was always when they're making him a woman, going through the different options and they sing a part of Matchmaker... I still laugh.  I also made my little brothers watch this about a year ago now, and they ended up watching for the next two weeks straight at least once a day.  So it's surviving through the generations.

"I know that sounds bad, but I'm just doing musical arm farts... They're hard to do because we're made out of metal, but that's where the skill comes in."

Robots.  This one may be a bit random, but this movie came out when my brother was little, and so we watched it a lot.  I would CRACK UP throughout the whole thing, even after watching it days in a row.  Robin Williams did the voice for Fender, the red robot.  He's a bit eccentric and it's great.

"You're a... you're a complex Freudian hallucination having something to do with my mother and I don't know why you have wings, but you have very lovely legs and you're a very nice tiny person and what am I saying, I don't know who my mother was; I'm an orphan and I've never taken drugs because I missed the sixties, I was an accountant."

"To die would be a grand adventure."

Hook.  This is a big family movie for me.  My aunt and mom both love this movie so I remember watching it a lot on holidays when we were all together.  I love Peter Pan in general, but this was just great, watching snooty adult Peter remember how to enjoy childish things again.

"Yes, I wear foundation. Yes, I live with a man. Yes, I'm a middle-aged fag. But I know who I am, Val. It took me twenty years to get here, and I'm not gonna let some idiot senator destroy that. Fuck the senator, I don't give a damn what he thinks."

The birdcage.  This may be obscure for some, but this was a big one in my older childhood days.  My mom loves this, along with Too Wong Foo, and so we often watched those two movies one right after another.  There's a lot of serious shit happening in this one, but in a setting that is pretty laughable, and the gay maid is great comedic relief when everything else starts getting serious.

"what's true in our minds is true, whether some people know it or not."

What Dreams May Come.  I first saw this movie in a theater class in high school, and the visuals are magnificent.  I just was in awe watching this movie, and watching it a second time, the effect was much the same.  I'm ending this post here, because Robin I hope you're in that painting not in your own personal hell anymore.  

Depression is something that a lot of people deal with, and I just want anyone reading this to know that even if you can't find anyone in your life that cares, there are people who do.  And I'm going to leave the number here to call if you ever feel you need it. 1-800-273-8255

In honor of Robin Williams, you will be missed, and you are loved, even from afar. Rest in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment